Friday, March 20, 2015

Weekly Wrap-up: Week 24 - An Up-and-Down Kinda Week

BRIEF BREAK
This week I took a break from my usual Saturday, Tuesday and Wednesday blogging. Something it's necessary to focus on family, but I'm looking forward to returning to blog hoppin' this coming week.

A SAD, SAD DAY
Although last weekend was full of family and fun, it was over-shadowed by losing our sassy indoor cat Stripe. I'm not completely sure when she got out on Thursday, but she did not sleep in her usual spot (at my feet) that night. Perhaps the furnace repair guy let her out that morning? She hasn't returned.  I contacted the nearest shelter as well as Maine Lost Cat Recovery and we placed a flyer on our road. We're hoping she returns soon! But with a siting of a lynx in our backyard and the frigid nighttime temperatures this past week, it's unlikely that she is still around.


FAMILY FUN
While Cati and Sam spent the weekend visiting their Dad, Jake was camping with scouts. (Don't worry too much about him camping! They were in a cabin with a very efficient wood stove.) I enjoyed a weekend with Tom and his kids, ice skating, watching movies and playing Cribbage and Trash. (One of these times I'll win a game of Cribbage...) My kids returned early Sunday afternoon, and things got really loud with giggles, video games and "mayhem". A houseful of kids is a WONDERFUL thing!

Sam even made dinner for all 7 of us by himself. He whipped up some homemade alfredo sauce to go with pasta and a simple tossed salad. Quite impressive for a just-turned-10-year-old, don't you think? It was yummy! 


My daughter turned 13! A sweet, sensitive young lady who doesn't let me forget she is now taller than I am! (Some day I'll probably be the shortest in the house and I'm not short!)


LOOKING AHEAD
I've planned out Cati's school for next year. Fortunately, I have all the curriculum that she'll need and won't have to purchase anything for her. But Sam? I am still undecided about Language Arts and Science. Any suggestions for a hands-on learner who doesn't like to read or write much (although can) and is budget-friendly and perhaps on-line?

AS THE LEARNING CONTINUES
We finished up Story of the World Volume 1: Ancient Times this week and started Volume 2:  Middle Ages. Since we only have 65 days left in the school year, I decided that we would do the Middle Ages as a read aloud book rather than a text with map activities and a wall timeline. I'm not sure if we'll complete it or not, but that's OK.

Sam struggled with learning division with remainers and regrouping when there's multiple digits of 0. Fortunately there's plenty of supplemental practice in his Saxon textbook to practice, much to his chagrin. 

Cati wrapped up Earth Science for the year today. Her focus will be on Grammar and Writing, Maine Studies and completing Algebra (with only 16 more lessons to go). She been quite dedicated to her studies this year.

Otherwise it was another week of reading, writing and 'rithmatic. 

As always, special thanks to these bloggers for their weekly wrap-ups:
 photo 337a3ef2-b881-48f4-8a2c-9c69e457cb5b_zps8b6152cf.pngHomegrown LearnersWeird Unsocialized Homeschoolers

Did you miss my other posts this week?

Happy Homeschooling!

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I know how that feels. Sounds like you got a lot done despite the sadness. I am so impressed with your Sam's dinner. My 10-year old could not make that by himself. You have taught him well. Yes, a house full of kids is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so sad about the kity. We worry about ours getting out often because two of the three are very interested in doors. Glad school p,winning for Cati is complete. Sounds like she has done great this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about Stripe. We have lost a few cats to coyotes. It's devastating to lose our beloved pets! I hope by some miracle she comes back home! Happy birthday to Cati and you can send Sam over to cook for me any time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!