Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge: The Government Edition

1. When did you last have to interact, either by phone or in person, with someone in a government run agency? On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the experience? (10 being fabulous and 1 being pass the Tylenol)

:: thinking, thinking :: 

Oh! I called the court house where I got divorced to inquire about getting a certified copy of my divorce decree. It's required to obtain a marriage license in Maine. Not long now, readers, and I'll be marrying my wonderful fiance! She was informative, although not particularly cheery, so I'll rate her an 8.

2. The current governor of Wisconsin is considering a run for President next time around. Walker attended Marquette University, but never graduated. In terms of any candidate running for the office of President (not asking here if you agree or disagree with Scott Walker's politics) would the lack of a college degree influence your vote or no? Would that be a factor in your support of any candidate running for public office, even a role less weighty than President?

Just because someone is educated doesn't mean they are knowledgeable. The best knowledge comes from experience and personal growth. And morals and ethics aren't taught at college. My vote would go to whomever is most interested in bettering our country.

3. When did you last visit a place or site named for George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, and what was that place or site?

In May 2006, we drove to Washington. DC for a family vacation. The kids were 7, 4 and 1. We visited the Lincoln Memorial, but didn't make it to see the George Washington one. Our favorite place was the zoo though.

Photo Source

4. February 16th was President's Day in the US, but did you know it was also National Almond Day? I didn't think so : ) Do you like almonds? If so, what's a food/dish/recipe you enjoy that contains almonds? 

Almonds are awesome! Lightly salted and roasted, they are "pop-able". I don't often cook with them as the kids aren't fond of them.



5.The television program Saturday Night Live celebrated it's 40th anniversary this past weekend. Were/are you a fan of the show? If so what has been your favorite (or one of your favorite) skits, sayings, or characters that came out of the program?

I've never really watched SNL. I've seen a few skits here and there and probably some episodes, but nothing jumps out at me. I do enjoy some of the actors that have "spun off" from SNL though. Adam Sandler's entertaining!

6. Anything purple within ten feet of you? What is it?

Yes! Sitting next to me, in my green-and-tan canvas crocheting bag, is a plastic purple pencil case with a snap closure. I got this case from the Dollar Tree. It holds my crochet hooks, small scissors, a pen, paper clips (for markers), and yarn needles. It's worked great for portable storage rather than buying an expensive hook organizer.


7. Back in December I asked you to submit a question for a future HP as part of a giveaway I was hosting. I grabbed this one from those entries, submitted by Zoanna who blogs over at Penchant for Pens. Thanks Zoanna!

She asks, "How often do you make your bed, and how do you like to make it-pull the covers all the way up over the pillows, tuck the covers in around the pillows, or place all the pillows on top of the covers?" 

Er. Sometimes? OK, I'll admit it - not often. There's no one here to SEE my bed, but my kids. For the most part I just quickly lay the blankets over the bed and call it good. When I wash the sheets and blankets though, I take the time to really make it up properly. 


8. Insert your own random thought here. 




Happy Hodgepodging!

5 comments:

  1. What a great storage idea! I usually buy raw almonds in the bag and forgot how they grow so thanks for the picture. Now I remember seeing them in big bins in the grocery stores. Congrats on your upcoming wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of forgot about the shells too. I remember my mother buying bags of mixed nuts in the shell at Christmas time, and how we used to love to use the nutcracker to open them. We probably liked that more than eating what we cracked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I am not the only one who only occasionally makes the bed.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for your upcoming marriage! How wonderful to have such a wonderful man step in to your life! I am excited for you! These are hard questions this time. Maybe I am thankful I didn't get a chance to chime in...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!