Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Words


1. What's your best piece of advice for a newly married couple? I'm asking for a friend.

Open, honest, non-judgemental, and frequent communication. So many disagreements and misunderstandings can be avoided by talking. listening, understanding, and compromise. Words are meaningful; use them wisely, with kindness.
A soft answer turneth away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger - KJV Proverbs 15:1
2. Before we're too far into the new year I wanted to post a question Teresa submitted during the December giveaway. Teresa blogs over at Being Refined As Silver, so everyone go say hi.

Teresa asks, "What were you doing on December 31st, 1999?"and "Did you or your family make preparations for Y2K?"

Oh, I don't remember. We had just moved back to Maine with a 10-month-old a couple weeks before. I bet we didn't even make it to midnight! But we never made any special preparations for Y2K as neither of us felt that anything devastating was going to happen.

3. According to Global Language Monitor, the most used word of 2014 isn't a word. It's the heart emoji. Huh? How can something that's not a word be the most used word, but I digress. What do you think was your most used word in 2014?

A heart emoji! LOL Yeah, I did use it a lot. Those emoji can say what words just can't sometimes. And they're cute, right?

4. Speaking of words, it's that time again. Time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2015. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-

bae (before anyone else), polar vortex, hack, skill set, swag, foodie, curate/curated, friend-raising, enhanced interrogation, cra-cra (as in crazy), takeaway, and -nation (a suffering sports suffix).

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?

Cra-cra! SMH. Why can't people just say crazy? It's the same number of syllables so it's not like cra-cra is any shorter to articulate. It doesn't even sound cool! I felt the same about vacay (vacation). Say the whole word, people!

5.  January is National Hot Tea month? Are you a fan? Do you like flavored teas? How do you take your tea? Have a favorite cup or teapot? How many cups of tea do you consume in a given day?

I love hot and iced tea! Green tea, black tea, flavored tea - it's all good! I just like a touch of sugar or honey for sweetness, no milk. How much do I drink? A few cups a week. 

Photo Source

6. Whatever happened to _________?

Photo Source

Do you remember this light up memory game from the '80s? I was, like, totally awesome at Simon.

7. What is one book on your must-read list this winter? 

Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant trilogy by Veronica Roth. I'm told (over and over) that they are not to be missed, but I keep forgetting them when I am at the library...


8. Insert your own random thought here.

Happy Hodgepodging!

7 comments:

  1. Great marriage advice, so true! It seems that Simon tried to make a comeback last year around Christmas time. I like that game. My kids downloaded a version onto their Kindles, and although it isn't quite the same, it's fun to play. We love Little House here and that quote reminds me of the simple but important things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote from Laura Ingalls Wilder, and I didn't have Simon but had a Bop It. Makes you wonder, right?

    Farin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I remember Simon! My very first "tech" toy, I think, along with the Speak and Spell, remember those? :-) I'm with you on the Divergent series. Everyone keeps telling me they are amazing so I guess we have some reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not part of the hodgepodge, but bae has GOT to go. Maybe if I quit seeing it I'll quit saying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading Insurgent now. I liked Divergent and hubs and I just watched the movie last weekend. My daughters have hinted I won't love the third book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alyssa and I were big on the Divergent Series. We are looking forward to Insurgent coming to theaters. I am reading Four now... but very slowly cuz life has be busy.

    By the way - hows it going?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Jessy!

    I'm visiting from Wednesday Hodgepodge.
    I remember `Simon`. But, I don't remember playing it.
    This reminds me of my own childhood.
    I remember a hot wax machine (60's -70's) where older children could make some neat wax figures.
    Don't remember what it was called. I wonder whatever happened to it.
    I suppose it was banned for safer inventions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!