Sunday, October 30, 2011

Raising Awareness of SPD

My energetic, fun-lovin' Sprinter has Sensory Processing Disorder. A condition that effects all aspects of his life. And our lives. Read his "sensational story" here.


What is Sensory Processing Disorder?  

Sensory Processing Disorder is a neurological disorder that is like a virtual traffic jam in the brain. The information from all eight senses is misinterpreted which causes a child (person) to often act inappropriately - SPD Blogger's Network 

For more information see my What is Sensory Processing? page here.

Each child with SPD is affected differently, but for Sprinter, his proprioceptive and vestibular senses are "off". SPD Connect on Facebook shared these fantastic videos from You Tube that explain these two areas of dysfunction and I wanted to share them with you!


And look at these COOL Sensory Processing Disorder awareness bracelets we just received in the mail from SPD Connect!



Want to help spread awareness? Get your bands here!


What SPD looks like for Sprinter while doing 30 seconds of Math. Notice he stands, chews and wiggles to concentrate.


But no matter how SPD affects Sprinter, he keeps us laughing!

5 comments:

  1. That is amazing! My daughter is like that but we have never talked to a professional about it. She wiggles around like crazy when she does her homework or is reading a book. Sometime she will wiggle around so much she falls off of her chair.She has major meltdowns over the simplest of things. I follow a lot of the gifted and talented sites like Hoagies and they talk about this as being very common among the gifted/talented. I used to get so frustrated and I just wanted her to sit still but I'm learning that this really is something beyond her control. I enjoyed your videos it really helps to see others going through the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older son has OT for a few sensory issues and like the previous comment, it's always a challenge to remind myself that he can't always control his body!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of SPD before. I wonder how many people this affects? I know everyone has their own quirks when it to learning, but it never occurred to me that it might be something like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Before I stayed home with my girls, I was a pediatric speech-language pathologist. I saw a lot of kiddos who had SPD, and though I was treating their communicative needs, I can attest to the benefits of meeting their unique sensory needs before expecting them to complete academic tasks:) I'm sure Sprinter keeps you on your toes! He's a handsome little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer to answer your question 1 in 20 are affected by SPD. It is misdiagnosed for ADHD. My 6 year old son was officially diagnosed a year ago even though we had known for several years. It's a struggle everyday to educate those that have contact with my child and believe otherwise, but he is a wonderful boy and just like Sprinter, makes us laugh daily. I am still fighting like so many of us are for our children. My son's tactile and auditory senses are affected as well as he has to deal with anxiety issues on top of it, but he does it with a smile on his face and a quirky saying to follow suit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!